Ten Tips for Retaining Sanity During Divorce
The early and middle separation periods feel like insanity for many people. Try these ten tips for returning to normalcy.
- Focus on the present and future; don’t rehash the past.
- Try to separate your role as a parent from role of ex-partner.
- Keep conversations with your ex focused and specific.
- Never badmouth the other parent to your children – it will only backfire on you.
- Express concerns with “I” language, not “YOU” language.
- Take advice from family and friends with many grains of salt.
- Form a co-parenting partnership focused on what is best for your children.
- Realize you can’t control everything that happens when your children are with the other parent; try to let go unless there is real danger.
- Find a good friend or relative with whom you can vent before making an angry phone call or confrontation.
- Use mediation to settle your custody and financial issues. Save money, time, and aggravation.